Google has confirmed that the number of +1 clicks influences the position of a website in the search results. How does this affect your web pages and what do you have to to do make sure that Google lists your website?
What is Google’s +1 button?
The +1 button is Google’s version of Facebook’s Like button. The +1 button is displayed on Google’s search result pages and webmasters can add Google’s +1 button to their own web pages (instructions).
Website visitors who like a page can click the +1 button to show Google that they like it.
A web page that gets many +1 clicks obviously offers something that makes it better than average. It makes sense to show these pages higher in the search results.
It’s difficult to game the +1 system
Some services offer +1 click packages. You pay a certain amount of money and the service will increase the number of +1 clicks on your web pages.
It is very unlikely that these clicks will increase the position of a web page in Google’s search results:
- You need a Google account to click on the +1 button. Google knows who’s clicking and they also know which other buttons are clicked by that person.
- These services usually use the same accounts and/or create new Google accounts for the clicks. It’s relatively easy for Google to detect artificial clicks and accounts.
It’s the quality of the +1 clicks that matters, not the quantity. If you buy +1 clicks for your website, it is likely that Google will find it out.
What does this mean for your website?
+1 clicks are a ranking factor in Google’s algorithm and you should add the Google +1 button to your web pages. Many websites don’t use the button yet so you will have an advantage if you add the button now.
The +1 button is not the only ranking signal that Google uses to determine the position of your site in the search results. Google uses many more signals.
To find out if your web pages have all these signals, analyze your web pages with IBP’s Top 10 Optimizer. IBP’s Top 10 Optimizer will show you:
- how your web page compares with competing websites on Facebook, Google +1, Twitter and other social sites.
- where to use your keywords so that your web page gets on Google’s first result page for these keywords.
- how to improve the backlinks of your web pages to make sure that they get in Google’s top 10 results.
The Top 10 Optimizer analyzes all important ranking signals that are necessary to get high rankings on Google. If you follow the instructions of IBP’s Top 10 Optimizer, your web page will get on Google’s first result page for your keywords.
Google’s +1 button is a ranking signal that you should not ignore. Don’t forget that there are many other ranking factors that have to be in place before +1 clicks will influence the position of your pages.
Use the Top 10 Optimizer in IBP to make sure that your web pages offer everything that Google needs to give your pages high rankings.
Article by Axandra SEO software
This article has been contributed by another writer, blogger or website. The content is their copyright and represents their views.