The more time people spend at your web site, the more time you’ll have to persuade them to buy your product or service. Here are ten powerful ways to keep visitors at your web site longer.
- Provide your web site visitors with content they can’t read anywhere else. People will stay longer at your web site to read original content.
- Offer your web site visitors additional content only if they take the time to fill out an online survey. They’ll be at the site longer and might buy something afterwards. They only get to the additional pages once they fill in the survey and submit their answers.
- Offer your visitors a free ebook that they can download right from your web site. While they are waiting for the download to complete they will look at more material on your site.
- Provide an online directory of information and resources that your visitors could search. The directory must contain information your visitors would want.
- Make sure all your web pages load fast or your visitors will leave fast. Time is precious; they won’t waste it waiting for your site to load.
- Tell your visitors what’s offered at your web site at the very beginning. If people are confused about what’s being offered they may leave too early.
- Publish your web site professionally. People will get turned off and leave if they see a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Make your site text easy to read. Most people won’t strain their eyes trying to read text that is too small, light or bright.
- Use headlines and sub headlines all over your web site that will grab visitors attention. It will attract them to explore your web site longer. Research shows that people do not read web pages like they read books. Instead, they scan the page for headings and sub headings and then only go back to read the material if they like what they see from a quick scan.
- Remind your web site visitors they can print out your content. They may browse around your other pages while it’s printing. However, make sure your pages are all ‘printer friendly’ or that you have special print versions available.
Graham Jones is an Internet Psychologist who studies the way people use the online world, in particular how people engage with businesses. He uses this knowledge to help companies improve their online connections to their customers and potential customers and offers consultancy, workshops, masterclasses and webinars. He also speaks regularly at conferences and business events. Graham is an award-winning writer and the author of 32 books, several of which are about various aspects of the Internet. For more information connect with me on Google+