Last week, J. C. Penney was penalized by Google because they used paid links to advertise their website. This week, Forbes.com has been penalized because they sell links. Is your website in danger? Which search engine optimization methods are safe to use?
Paid links and other forms of web spam
Google’s most recent activities focused on paid links spam. However, that’s not the only form of spam that will get you in trouble with Google. Earlier this year, Google announced that they are going to fight web spam stronger than before in 2011.
In addition to paid links, Google considers the following spam:
- made for AdSense websites that consist of scraped content
- cloaking and false redirects (Google gets other pages than real web surfers)
- keyword stuffing and pages loaded with irrelevant words
- hidden text or hidden links
- misspellings of well-known websites
- fully automated, unrelated and centralized link farms
- other methods that try to trick search engines
All of these methods have once thing in common: they worked well in the past and they enabled you to quickly get high rankings on Google. However, these methods also have in common that Google can discover them.
Websites that use these methods will be penalized sooner or later.
Search engine optimization methods that are safe to use
Spammy search engine optimization methods will get your website in trouble. It doesn’t help to have a big name (J. C. Penney or Forbes) and it also does not help to display AdWords ads on your website.
If you want to get lasting results, you have to use ethical search engine optimization methods that are beneficial to website owners, web surfers and search engines.
Ethical search engine optimization leads to a symbiotic relationship:
- Search engines: They win as they are provided with pages that are easy to understand and that contain the quality information that their visitors search for.
- Searchers: They win as they are getting what they ask for from the search engines. They search for “green widgets” and get a page about green widgets.
- website owners: They win as they are getting quality visitors who are interested in what their website has to offer.
The following search engine optimization methods are safe to use and they lead to lasting results:
- optimization of existing web pages, HTML code and web page contents
- creating good content for your website
- organic link building to get high quality backlinks
If you use these methods to optimize your web pages, your website will get lasting results. It takes longer to get high rankings with ethical search engine optimization methods but your website will be safe.
If you plan to build a lasting business, you must use ethical search engine optimization methods.
Our search engine optimization tool IBP helps you to get high rankings with ethical SEO methods. IBP helps you to optimize the content of your web pages and it helps you to get high quality backlinks.
IBP is a spam-free SEO software tool that helps you with all aspects of ethical search engine optimization. You can download the demo version here.
Graham Jones is an Internet Psychologist who studies the way people use the online world, in particular how people engage with businesses. He uses this knowledge to help companies improve their online connections to their customers and potential customers and offers consultancy, workshops, masterclasses and webinars. He also speaks regularly at conferences and business events. Graham is an award-winning writer and the author of 32 books, several of which are about various aspects of the Internet. For more information connect with me on Google+